The holiday is upon us, and, like clockwork, with it comes the (welcomed) barrage of well-wishing Christmas and holiday cards featuring everything from picture-perfect families in matching dockers and smartly dressed tots with toothless grins to dogs stuffed into Santa Suits. Then there are those other cards – the ones that are simply awkward…just plain wierd. As in, 'I-cannot-believe-you-sent-this-out-as-your- holiday-card-weird.' You know the ones we are referring to?
A whole lot of awkardness in one place
The genius minds behind the hilarious site Awkward Family Photos – which features cringe-worthy, embarrassing photos of fairly creepy, fashion-challenged families - take awkwardness to a whole new level with their hysterical collection of awkward holiday family pet photos! Here are some of my favorites and check out their whole collection at AwardFamilyPetPhotos.com
The year 2011 was absolutely brimming with historic, hilarious and downright heart-warming moments of doggie awesomeness! Stories of heroic hounds, comedic canines and doggie Dilbert's certifiably made life so much richer this year and we've selected some of our favorite four-legged stand-outs of 2011.
It was not easy, sifting through the incredible, insane, inane and sometimes hair-brained dog stories of 2011, but for you, dear readers, we will stop at nothing to keep you on the cusp of mutt's hot and mutt's not.
2) The Amazing Commando Dog That Helped Snare Osama Bin Laden: This special four-legged soldier was a heavily-armored, explosive-sniffing pooch who was strapped to an assault team member and lowered into Bin Laden's hideout from a Black Hawk helicopter! To ensure their safety, these special four-legged forces are given oxygen masks for helicopter jumps as well as helmets with videocameras for remote monitoring. Read story here>
3) Eco-minded French Bulldog Saves Water with Inventive Pup Pre-wash Cycle. Read story here >
4) Dog Saves New Family Only Six Hours After Being Adopted: Gentle giant Hercules proved his worth as a loyal canine companion only six hours after being rescued from an animal shelter by chasing after an intruder who was attempting to break into his new adoptive family's house. Read the whole story here >
6) Uber Happy Dog Plays Hide-n-Seek with Bouncy Sheep: The most adoro interspecies love affair between a bouncing, fluffy sheep and one scrappy happy dog. Dingleberries and all, watch what a good ole time this sheep is having clomp-a-clomping around the barnyard with a dog that seems to have decided "…to hell with the whole herding thing." Read the full story here >
7) Greece's Riot Dog: Allegedly present at nearly every importantGrecian riot since in 2008, and even braving police with teargas, it is unknown what this tenacious yellow dog, Loukanikos, was protesing, but he is deserving of a nod for getting up out of his tent and getting into the action. Read the full story here>
8) I Lean: Seeing-Eye Goose Befriends Blind Dog. This heart-warming animal odd couple shows that love really is blind! A blind boxer named Baks got a whole new lease on life this year thanks to a good samaritan goose named Buttons who leads vision-impaired Baks around everywhere either by hanging onto him with her neck, or by honking to tell him which way to go. Read the full story here >
9) Tenacity Defined – Brave Terrier With Knife Stuck Squarely in Head Chases Robbers. Bella, a brave terrier mix, happily chased robbers down her street earlier this year despite the ginormous Ginzu protruding from her forehead ! She survived the ordeal with flying colors and gets extra kick-ass doggy awesomeness points for her selfless heroicism! Read the full story here>
10) Determined Pit Pup Harper, Rescued from Trash Bag, Learns to Walk. Severely deformed, yet darling pitbull pup Harper was abandoned to die in a trash bag, but angelic shelter workers rescued her and provided her with proper therapy and now she has a new leash on life! Today, Harper is a frisky, happy pup who is gaining more and more mobility each day, to the astonishment of onlookers and medical professionals. Read the full story here >
First Lady Michelle Obama welcomed military families to the White House yesterday for the first peek at this year’s holiday decorations. Celebrating the season with the theme “Shine, Share, Give,” this year's holiday decorations, hung by volunteers from 37 states, feature none other than our fave first family dog Bo Obama in many of the festive designs. The centerpiece of Christmas at the White House is the official tree, an 18½-feet tall balsam fir in the Blue Room. The tree is decorated with holiday cards created by military children, medals, badges and patches from all the military branches.
What do marshmallows, trash bags and buttons have in common?
The Obamas' famous Portuguese water dog is represented in nearly every room of the public tour, and the whimsical Bo 're-creations' range from small ornaments to life-size topiaries made from everyday materials like buttons, licorice and even trash bags! My favorite is a felt 'Bo' design that stands 4½ feet tall.
Mad props to Heather Cooper the floral designer who designed and assembled the amazingly creative Bo statuaries. A 'Bo' made of bits of licorice or trash bags? How cool is that?! (In fact, watching the video below kind of makes me want to plug in my glue gun and get all crafty…at least for 10 minutes until the feeling passes and I regain consciousness.)
Check out all the holiday 'Bo's' in the video below and be one of the first to get a glimpse of how all the Bo decorations throughout the White House were made! Thanks to Megan Slack and The White House Blog for sharing this story!