In honor of the ASPCA’s Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month, we have been hosting extra adoptions in all three of our Muttropolis stores. For those who don’t know, the ASPCA is the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the first humane society to be established in North America. Each year during the month of April, they reintroduce an awareness campaign, urging supporters to “Go Orange for Animals.” Orange was chosen for the campaign because it is a very vibrant, energetic color, used to motivate supporters to join the campaign to improve the lives of animals across the country. A wide variety of involvement options are posted on the ASPCA website.
We know that awareness is key to the success of this campaign, so please join us in educating current and potential supporters about the abundance of physical, behavioral and environmental signs of animal cruelty. Some common signs and symptoms of animal cruelty include tick or flea infestations, wounds on the body, patches of missing hair, extremely thin and starving animals, limping, physical abuse, pets who are repeatedly left alone without food or water, animals who are kept in extreme weather conditions, and animals who cower in fear or act aggressively when approached.
In an effort to make it easier to get involved, the ASPCA has compiled the following top 10 ways that you can crack down on animal cruelty:
1) Know who to call to report animal cruelty.
2) Get to know and look for the animals in your neighborhood.
3) Make the call.
4) Provide as much information as possible when reporting animal cruelty.
5) Contact your local law enforcement department and let them know that investigating animal cruelty should be a priority.
6) Fight for the passage of strong anti-cruelty laws on federal, state and local levels by joining the ASPCA Advocacy Brigade.
7) Set a good example for others. If you have pets, be sure to always show them the love and good care they deserve.
8) Talk to your kids about how to treat animals with kindness and respect.
9) Support your local shelter or animal rescue organization.
10) Start a Neighborhood Watch Program.
To show our dedication and support for this cause, we’ve hosted 1 to 2 pet adoption events every weekend in April and will continue to do so through the end of the month. Listed below are the next three adoptions events, one in each store.
Foundation for the Care of Indigent Animals – Saturday, April 20th from 10:30am-2pm in Solana Beach
SNAP (Spay Neuter Action Project) Adoption – Saturday, April 27th from 11am-2pm in La Jolla