Happy Earth Day everyone! With an ever increasing abundance of eco-friendly products and services across industries, it is no surprise that planet friendly pet products and practices are also on the rise. We here at Muttropolis are very proud to offer a wide, and always expanding, assortment of eco-friendly pet products. It is our hope to help reduce carbon pawprints by providing pets with organic dog toys, collars and leashes, biodegradable poop bags and eco-friendly pet beds, just to name a few!
In honor of Earth Day, and in an effort to educate pet parents and promote the reduction of carbon pawprints, we’ve put together this short list of eco-friendly suggestions:
1) Get rid of pet junk food. Since nutrition is essential for optimum pet health, it is important to look for natural and organic pet foods, free of artificial and genetically engineered ingredients and additives. Look for meat sources that are raised in sustainable, humane conditions. Many pet food brands include reconstituted animal by-products, essentially low-grade wastes that humans wouldn’t touch, let alone eat. At Muttropolis, we carry a large variety of safe, All Natural Dog Food (including Dehydrated varieties), All Natural Dog Treats, Natural Dog Supplements, and a small assortment of All Natural Cat Food and Treats as well.
2) Pick up poop the biodegradable way. Use biodegradable bags to pick up your pet’s poop so that it doesn’t live in a plastic bag at the bottom of a landfill, lasting for hundreds of years to come. We carry eco-friendly poop pick-up bags, some more eco-friendly than others, with White Compostable Pick-up Bags at the top of the environmentally friendly list. They are made from 100% renewable resources, protecting the environment by degrading in as little as 40 days.
3) Spoil your pet with sustainable products. Saving the planet can be fun for your pets too! Choose products that are made from recycled materials or sustainable fibers. Hemp is a great choice, as it is one of the most abundantly occurring crops in nature and makes super-strong fabric. Check out our Hemp Star Dog Collar and Leash set that was seen on the CBS Early Show, or the popular Eco Nap Recycled Fleece Dog Mat, made from 85% recycled plastic soda bottles! Our sustainable product assortment doesn’t stop there, with many more toys and beds that are made from recyclable fibers, or made to be recycled.
4) Choose natural pet care and cleaning products. We carry quite a few grooming products that are all natural and free of harsh chemicals, such as Richard’s Organics Deodorant Dog Shampoo and Petkin’s Eco Bamboo Pet Wipes and Eye Wipes, all gentle on your pet and the planet. Steer clear of those brands that produce chemical laced grooming products.
5) Make sure your pet always wears a tag. Losing a pet can be trying both emotionally and environmentally. Printing posters and driving around town in search of your missing four-legged friend has an environmental impact that could be avoided if you were alerted quickly that they were found. Whether you choose an electronic ID chip or a hang tag, the important thing is that your contact information is easily accessible. Our large Engravable Pet Tag includes Chrome Pet Tags in a variety of shapes, Stainless Steel Pet Tags with different image and color options, as well as Decorate Metal Pet Tags. There is a style and size suitable for every pet!Now is as good a time as ever to start reducing your pet’s carbon pawprints! Please visit Muttropolis.com or one of our three Southern California store locations to shop our eco-friendly assortment and learn more about planet friendly pet practices.